Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Morning Glories - It's a comic book, that's about all I can tell you.

So, I saw the comic book Morning Glories mentioned somewhere recently so I figured I'd check it out. I did some hunting and managed to find a copy of the first issue. Before we even get to the books themselves, the covers, by Rodin Esquejo, are fantastic. A few of the books have multiple fronts and each one is beautifully drawn. Some minimalist, some more full featured, but all stunning. 




When I opened it and started reading, I was again drawn to the clean art by Joe Eisma. It's not too comicy and not overly realistic, it's a style that I found very enjoyable to read. And with that, onto the story itself. I will admit I have no idea what is going on. The basics are pretty simple, a group of high school aged kids are brought to a boarding school. All of them have the same birthday. And the boarding school kills people. Yeah, one of those. After reading the first issue I scrounged up the rest of the series, which is up to issue 7 and I'm hooked. I'm also no closer to figuring out what the heck is going on. The story flows pretty well, except for Issue 6 which was related...but seems to be from a different time frame. 
Oh yeah, there's also a ghost who sticks his hands in peoples heads and they melt. In any event, I give this one 5 1/2 Shiny Apples out of 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment